Monday, October 26, 2009

Tutu Time

I have been seeing all these cute little tutu's everywhere I look and thought Lexi would look soo adorable in one.  So, I decided to try my hand at making one.  They are the easiest thing I've ever made; I didn't sew a single stitch!

Tulle comes in rolls that are the perfect width for a tutu (you can buy it on the bolt, but if you do that, you will have to cut the strips long ways and wide and that just sucks).  If you are going to a fabric store, you will usually find these in the wedding aisle.  So, you need to first pick out your colors.  I found that two main colors and one color thrown in here and there works well.  Of coarse, you can do any combination you like.  For this newborn tutu, I chose a pretty pink and threw in some lighter pink


Figure out how long you want the tutu to be.  The tulle needs to be cut into strips a little more than double that length.  For this newborn tutu, my pieces were 11 inches long.


Take the strips and tie them in slip knots around a piece of elastic.  Your elastic should be about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch wide.  Continue adding the strips in slip knots until you reach the desired waist size.

Tie the elastic in a knot or sew it shut, and you have a skirt. 

To give it a more finished look, I took a piece of ribbon and wrapped it around the waist of the skirt, weaving it in and out of the tulle.


0 comments:

Post a Comment